Welcome to the home of “Amy’s Balancing Act”, an inspiring tale about clean energy and the power of diversity.
This unique story packs the complexities and emotions of the journey to clean energy into an engaging, entertaining book that can be understood by children, their families and educators.
It provides a positive resolution to the climate wars – being respectful to the past while clear eyed about a brighter future.
Amy has always done things a certain way, but when her old horse gets ready to retire, Amy must find a fresh approach. With the help of some new friends, Amy discovers the power of teamwork and how to balance keeping the mail on time with having a lighter impact on the environment.
Praise for Amy’s Balancing Act
Get your copy
A limited run of signed first edition books are available for purchase here: bjornsturmberg.com/shop.
Or you should be able to find the books in your local or online bookstore of choice – if they’re not already stocking it please direct them to the distributor Woodslane.
While you wait for a hardcopy, here are some sample pages to spark your imagination…
The good folk at Cool Australia have created three lesson plans based on Amy’s story. These are written for years 3&4, years 5&6, and for parents, and connect Amy’s lessons into the Australian curriculum.
As additional resources you may also wish to check out the following blog posts that dive into the story’s lessons on diversity, team work, and the transition from coal to clean energy: post 1, post 2.
To catch up on the backstory of the story, you can checkout the kickstarter campaign and blog posts here.
- Woodford Folk Festival 2022-23I had a wonderful time at the Woodford Folk Festival over the summer. I can now confirm that it’s no less fun with a toddler than childless! So much excitement and good vibes all around. I gave an hour long presentation on “Watt’s in store for the energy system?” in the main festival, with special… Continue reading
- A kid’s book is bringing the energy transition into homes, schools and parliamentsThe full story of the national launch of Amy’s Balancing Act is now in reneweconomy.com.au https://reneweconomy.com.au/a-kids-book-is-bringing-the-energy-transition-into-homes-schools-and-parliaments/ “The goal from the outset was to create “a great book to teach young children and old politicians about clean energy,” as Craig Reucassel put it. In a heartening sign of how far the conversation (and politics) around the… Continue reading
- Amy’s one of WWF’s “ethical and eco-friendly gift ideas”WWF Australia have selected Amy’s Balancing Act in their top 10 list of gifts. Amy joins a totally lovable crowd of the likes of adopting a platypus or koala and going on a walking holiday. https://www.wwf.org.au/news/blogs/ethical-and-eco-friendly-gift-ideas#gs.jys178
- Amy launched in the Parliament of AustraliaAmy’s story has struck such a chord with political moment that Alicia Payne MP, the member for Canberra, hosted the national launch of Amy’s Balancing Act in Federal Parliament. The event included an enthusiastic speech from the Minister for Climate Change and Energy, the Hon Chris Bowen, as well as an impressive upside-down reading of… Continue reading
- Story of the Week on LiSTNR platformAmy’s story is now available (for free) as an audiobook on the LiSTNR platform https://lnkd.in/d3rCVffgwhere it is currently the #StoryoftheWeek on Kinderling Kids Radio (which is a wonderful trove of stories!) Full disclosure, the journey of creating Amy’s Balancing Act and recording the audiobook has made it very apparent to me that it’s the illustrations… Continue reading